Our gas grill on Bainbridge Island does not get hot enough to cook a good steak, so we decided to do it on the stove top and we quite pleased with the results.
- Remove steak from fridge 1 hour before cooking. Season both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- Add oil to skillet, heat until it starts to smoke.
- Add steak to skillet, cook on one side until seared, about 2 minutes on our stove
- Flip steak, sear other side. Then flip 90 degrees, sear first one edge, then the other edge of the steak.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Finish cooking steak on low heat, according to preference. Our steaks were about an inch thick, so we removed the cast iron skillet from the heat completely; the iron skillet was hot enough to finish cooking the steak.
- Place steak on a platter, cover with aluminum foil, allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.