Here are some activities I would like to do in 2017, along with training goals that will provide me the fitness to enjoy the experience. God willing, I’ll be able to write a post for each.
Activities I would like to do
- March – Crew for three weeks of Pactour Desert Camp.
As a crew member, I’ll work half the days, ride my bike the other days, while enjoying the companionship of old and new cycling friends.
- April – Ride the White Rim Road in Moab, Utah. The 100 mile loop, mostly dirt, winds along a plateau with scenic vistas of the Colorado and Green Rivers.
- May – Ride the Chino Grinder, 104 miles of gravel and asphalt, with a bunch of climbing, from Prescott to Williams, AZ, and back.
- September – Crew for the Pactour Southern Transcontinental, from San Diego to Savannah. As crew I’ll work half the days, and ride on alternate days. Working crew requires a much lower level of fitness than was needed for last year’s Northern. Nevertheless, I’ll enjoy the ride more if I’m in good shape.
- TBD – Ride a bike tour with my son Mike in Maryland. I’ll let him make the plans for this adventure
Weight – Currently I weigh 150 lbs. Not terrible, but I’ve picked up a few pounds since returning from Boston last summer. To improve my power to weight ratio, I’d like to get my weight below 145, while adding a bit of muscle mass to my legs. That means trimming my waistline.
Miles – Like last year, I’m setting monthly goals. These include some fast miles, hopefully many slow miles, but nothing more specific. Strava will log my results.
- January – 300 miles
- February – 400 miles
- March – 600 miles
- April – 800 miles
- May – 1,000 miles
- June – 1,000 miles
- July – 1,200 miles
- August – 1,200 miles